Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any home remedies to rid the home of...?

fleas? I got my daughter this kitten,was infested,now so is my house. I know borax works,but I've got wooden floors don't want it to get between the cracks. I've bought some flea spray,so far not working. Cat's gone,now they're eating us!! arrrghhh!!
Answers:
You received one very extensive answer but I would add eucalyptus. I adopted two kittens when I was in college that were dropped off in the field next to my apt. Anyway, I had little money (if any) so I bathed the kittens thoroughly and then put fresh eucalyptus leaves under all of the legs of the furniture. You sorta bend the leaf to release the oil. It took awhile but it worked.
Today I would try this again but add candles, anything with the scent. Apparently fleas hate eucalyptus. I know this sounds simple but it did work so you might want to add this to laundering everything in site, etc.
Sorry people jumped to conclusions, I am sure you are stressed enough. Here's to a flea free life!
Why's the cat gone??
Because of fleas?
I'd tell you how to fix the flea thing, but you got rid of a kitten so forget it.
Borax? Don't think so...you're close but that isn't it.
Sounds like..
Go to the pet store or wall mart and get the flea bomb stuff.It works. Just put like 2 old towels under each spray to protect the floors.
Before my last submission, after preview, I saw you were looking for homre remedies.
Sorry, this is not a "home remedy" --- unless you mean something other than calling in an exterminator...
Sorry you got rid of the cat --- it wasn't it's fault. The fleas would have found you eventually, with or without the cat. BUT, moving on ...
You're in for a major cleaning job ahead of you to rid yourself of the infestation. And, it's not your fault. I don't know where you live, but if you're in one of the hot/humid areas, this is an especially bad year for fleas.
The quick down and dirty:
1. All the bedding in use needs to be changed. Washing in a commercial laundrymat with HOT water for everything that will takei it is suggested. Put the bedding in plastic garbage bags for transport, so as not to let fleas get in your car. Tie the bags tightly. Take an extra bag, which you will use to discard the bags your put the laundry in, so you don't end up putting clean laundry into bags that have fleas in them.
2. Prior to your trip the Laundrymat, you should purchase the right number of "bug bombs" to treat your house/apartment, and have everything packed in the car. As you leave, start at the back most part of the house, and move forward, setting off each "bomb" so that you have an easy exit out of the house to your car. READ THE LABEL, *more than once* to make sure you understand how this works. Take the box with you so you can refer to it and know how long it will be before you can return. Refer to the box before you head home, to make sure. RIGHT DOWN your estimated return time on the box! (it's so easy to forget).
3. When you get home, open every window in the house, and if you have them turn on fans (not your air conditioner, unless you'll be changing the filters the next day), and VAC and MOP everything in sight. Laundry done, and you still have time to kill? Go to the park, watch a movie, do something entertaining to reward yourself for all this extra work.
4. You may need to do this a couple of moths in a row, to make sure. I don't like the bug bombs that say, "Lasts for 3 - 6 months" because that means the poision is hanging around for that long. When winter hits, I would do the routine listed above ONE MORE TIME, and then, you should be flea free.
Goiod luck!
If you do not call a professional exterminator you will be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment