Friday, July 31, 2009

Are blue eyed horses frowned upon in the hunter ring?

I'm thinking of purchasing a blue eyed paint gelding for an A circuit hunter. Will he be discriminated against by judges?
Answers:
From what I understand, it is believed that a horse with blue eyes is more susceptible to health problems like blindness. I'm not sure I believe this is true, but I don't think they can be discriminated against in competition. Your horse may be scrutinized to make sure that he is sound. Assuming he is, I know of no competition that would disqualify a horse based on the color of his eyes
My first pony that I showed the hunter circuit with had one blue eye and one brown eye. Won a division on the state circuit every year, qualified for finals etc. No, they don't care and I know MANY blue eyed horses and not one of them have health problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment