Friday, July 31, 2009

Are bunnys great pets?

my dad says no so we cant git one but i say yes! what do you say?
Answers:
It depends on what type of pet you're looking for.
Rabbits shed a TON. The cage will smell no matter how many times you clean it. And as soon as it's clean there will be fifty more turds in it. They LOVE to gnaw on things, so if you let it loose in the house you're gonna have some major probs until it's trained realllllly well.
I had a rabbit for ten yrs. We got him when I was four yrs old. My brother was seven, and my sister three. We have around 28 cousins. The rabbit was our only pet when we were younger. Now imagine what that poor rabbit went through when we had family parties at our house. -.-; Yeah. Poor Clover.
He really was INCREDIBLY patient with us and allowed us to carry him all around, passed from one little kid to the next. The thing I think was good though is: he wasn't afraid to bite. If we crossed a limit, he'd simply bite. I've still got a scar on my hand. Worst animal bite I've ever experienced! (and that's saying something!) But looking back, it was good for us to have a pet that would defend itself if we went too far.
Now Clover is the only rabbit I ever had; he lived ten long yrs. The vet was shocked when we brought him in. He was like: "this rabbit isn't neutered! I'm surprised at how calm he is. I give him an 'A' in behavior.This rabbit has cataracts! I've never seen a rabbit with cataracts!...I've never seen a rabbit this old." LOL Then he had some fellow nurses and such come in to pet and oogle at our old bun bun. -wistful sigh- Sadly, old age took its toll, and six months later we put Clovey down.
Rabbits generally like to wander around. They won't play with you like cats or dogs do. They each have unique attitudes. Take some of Clover's: we'd try to pet or pick him up and he'd kick and wiggle away from us. After we'd give up and leave him alone he'd hop over and nudge our hands insistently, demanding to be petted. Crazy rabbit.
As a household pet, things can get messy. He liked to hide behind the couch and chew the carpet. Chewed anything he could reach. (we usually only let him run around outside) The smell and shedding are, in my opinion, the major downsides to rabbits.
Respect your dad's decision if you can't sway him otherwise. It's his house. I can understand his view of not wanting rabbit hair all over the house.
Their wonderful pets!
And, they do things that are called 'binkies' where they flip in the air*sideways*(it will probably one of the funniest things you've ever seen an animal do lol)
Yes! They're wonderful.
At first before I got mine I wasn't really sure if I should get one since they kinda seemed boring to me. But I'm so glad I did! They're really sweet and cute.
yes they are great pets. it depends if you can take care of them.
absolutly, best pet i ever had. very playful and cute
Rabbits make great pets however, they are believe it or not more work to look after than cats and dogs! Handling techniques are very important and they must be kept on a strict pallet only diet. They can have the occasional peice of fruit or vegetable but too many vegetables cause chronic diarrhoea which can lead to fly strike, a nasty invasion of maggots around the bottom and anal area which eats away at the skin. I see it a lot in summer time and it causes them excruciating pain and leads to further diseases and infections if left alone. Also when the diarrhoea kicks in they get dehydrated extrmely fast and their health deteriorates simultaniously. I don't mean to make them sound horrible pets as they are far from this, just after what i see of neglected rabbits in practice i can't stress enough the time it takes each day to keep them happy and healthy.
On the whole they make lovely pets, easily potty trained and very loyal. With day to day care and a good balanced pallet diet they make great pets.
They are great pets as long as you do your research and know what to expect. They do take quite a bit of time and effort to take care of...cleaning, bunny proofing the house, giving them lots of out-of-cage time to play and exercise, etc. But they are a joy to have around. Each rabbit has its own personality, and they can be very comical and also really sweet. Not all of them like to be held, but most love to be petted and will nudge you with their noses for attention.
Rabbits can be litter trained and are very clean animals (they groom themselves like cats), so as long as you change the litter box every day or two, they will not smell.
Maybe one day, you can get a rabbit of your own. For now, just learn about them so you'll be prepared for if and when that day comes. I had to wait until I was an adult and had my own house, and it was worth it. :)
I say you obey your father!
I have a rabbit and I love him dearly, and wouldn't change it for the world. But they can be a nuisnance to a father who hates them and has a child that won't listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment