Thursday, July 30, 2009

Anyone ever used a rabbit lead on there rabbit?

I was thinking of getting one so my bunny can come with me where ever i go in the house %26 garden. she is only 9 weeks old so she is as a good age to start taming %26 training
Answers:
Ive never used one but i have a friend that uses one,they are OK,but start putting it on her with out attaching the lead for the first week,it gets her used to it,after that let her out in the house to walk around in in,if he pulls backwards when wearing it don't pull her forward,let go if you have to as it will make her panic if you try to pull her forward.
eventually she will get used to it but it will take time,
No reason not to as long as you dont pull the rabbit My next door s son takes his ferrets out all on leads and they walk o/k.
Yes i have x i took provo(my rabbit)
everywhere with me
My cousin does..its better than i thot it was going to be!Apart from one time that the rabbit went under her decking and another time it wriggled outta the lead..hmm..interesting situation to catch it!She just uses it to take them to her garden to eat grass but my rabbits' run is out in the field so i don't need to take them to eat..but anyway the choice is for you to make because there are pro's and con's with rabbit leads.
Yep, rabbit leads are great especailly if you haven't got a rabbit friendly garden. Firstly make sure its a harness not just a collar and lead as you could strangle bunny. Secondly dont leave the harness on with the bunny unsupervised, they do love to chew! You can buy rabbit leads at most pet stores but if there are none then get a cat lead as well (They fit both)
yes is started with a lead and taught her the yard now she goes out on her own and doesnt leave the yard. all you have to do is put the leash and let her hop around the yard. dont let her go where you dont want her. soon she will not keep trying to go to those places then take off the leash and she should be fine but watch her the first few times!
I have used a rabbit lead and harness on my rabbit, she was quite happy, although was continuesly only wanting to go in 1 direction lol. They can squerm out of therm an chew them but as long as they are supervised continuesly it will be fine. Just make sure you dont yank on the lead or pull it to hard as they can become loose. Have fun.
ive never used one - but as long as you dont tug too hard (they have very delicate skeletons) then i dont see the harm in it
*****Hi, congrats on thinking about a bunny.
We (gd and I) bought sunnybunny at 6 weeks and started training her right away. I bought a very small kitten harness with soft padding in it and then advently (sp) went up in size. (I had to buy 3 all together, but wanted to get ones that I could ajust around belly and shoulders-our local stores allowed me to bring her in), I also used a very light lease on her and let her pull it around first (I hooked it to the belly ring when she was hooked up alone) to get her used to it. She now walks good on a lease or I can put her on a long lease and in the yard to play if I need to do other things outside and I cannot have her follow me. She is also house trained and litter trained. When you get her start touching her all over and playing with her feet, ears, rub her belly, mouth, toes, tails,etc. and she will be very comfortable with this when you need to do anything. I can trim her nails no problem, check her teeth. Little kids give her kisses and she does not bite and she will sit good. (she was born in Feb)
I tried to with both my rabbits and the first time they didn't really take to it, but one was 5 years old so it wasn't a good time for him to get adjusted to it and the other simply didn't like it. I tried again a week ago, and they quite liked it, but I had to pull them away from eating flowers and the leash got tangled as they wound themselves around trees and in the end they simply went and sat outside their hutch. I think they did like it a bit, but it was scary for them and they haven't seemed to register yet that they can eat grass off the lawn, not just from the palm of my hand. If your bunny's young then it'll probably be easier, so feel free to give it a try.
i use a harness and lead for my bunny. He used to pull away when i first used it but he's fine with it now. Make sure it's not too loose or she will wriggle out and escape. Good Luck
yep all my rabbits have leads they love it!...gpig too!

No comments:

Post a Comment