Friday, July 31, 2009

Are Rats Good Pets?

Well, I was thinking of getting rats for pets. If someone can help give me long answers to all these questions, I will be very grateful.
1. Will rats let me hold them, cuddle with them, feed them out my hands and play with them, and can they be tamed easily?
2. Im wanting 2 (both I'll get fixed so no babies) but what will be better, 2 boys, 2 girls, or a boy and girl?
3. Please explain how I clean the cage and if their waste is toxic to humans.
4. Can a small cusion or fold up blanket be a good bed to sleep in or is the fabric dangerous to them?
5. What kind of bedding material could I put at the bottom of the cage that makes cleaning their waste easier?
6. Will they bond with me even if I adopt one or will they be attached to the person who raised them?
7. What are some things (diseases) I need to know about before getting a rat?
8. How long can they live?
Any extra info is most appreciated. Thanks!
Answers:
1. Most rats love to be held and cuddled (and will gladly sit on your shoulder or run across your arms), and will accept treats from peoples' hands quite readily. They're naturally social animals, so are pretty easy to tame.
2. Male rats can have squabbles later in life unless neutered, although many will get along quite happily. Female rats are unlikely to fight, spayed or not, so they might be your best bet.
3. Their waste isn't toxic if touched, but I wouldn't recommend eating it, of course :).
To clean their cage, take out the rats and set them on a surface nearby (couch, chair, etc, just be sure to keep one eye on them). Then, empty the bedding and waste into a small garbage bag and tie off the top. You can rinse the bottom of the cage with water afterwards.
4. I used to use dishrags, and my rat would curl up under them to sleep. She did chew on the fabric a bit, which prompted me to remove the rags--I think a lot of ingested fabric-fibers can cause a blockage.
5. Avoid softwood shavings (cedar and pine). Aspen is a really good alternative, as are hemp and Carefresh.
6. They can become attached to anyone, especially if bought at a fairly young age.
7. http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/#health%20pr... %26lt;--Has information on health problems.
So does this website: http://www.ratguide.com/health
8. Usually about 2 years, although some people have reported 3-4 years.
NOTE: All rats are different! Be sure to handle them at the store/shelter/breeder, so you can see how friendly the different individuals are.
YES
You can hold and cuddle them
start out with one at a time, as you are a novice
I found that unscented clay litter is the best, with some bedding thrown in
wash your hands or use rubber gloves, NO feces is good
I prefered not to put towels or pillows in the cage, they get eaten QUICKLY
They WILL bond with you, they are loving affectionate animals
My daughters outlived his years because he was so spoiled.
Good pets and not difficult to care for.
well if you want something that has a tail and can bite then yes but don't let that bring you down they are very good pets if you want then to be they can be fun you can walk them and play with them they are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment