Monday, May 24, 2010

Can a PIG be conditioned to be a house pet?

Do you have a pet pig?
What would be the pros and cons?
Answers:
Are you thinking of a pot-bellied pig, or a more traditional livestock-type pig? Both are actually extremely intelligent, clean, loving animals. Contrary to what people think, they really don't like to be dirty. Our pot-bellies are litterbox trained, know their own names, know various tricks, and are very friendly. The pigs we raise for meat ( I expect someone will be in an uproar over that!), are treated very well, and are smart and friendly, as well. They're very clean-urinating and defecating in the same area each time (which we clean out), and they have a large yard to play in. I've had pot-bellies in the house before, but now we keep ours in a large pen with access to the barn, and they're allowed to run in the yard when we're outside. I found that in the house, they can be too destructive-rooting up houseplants, etc. Because they're so intelligent they need to be kept busy, so they get toys, like balls and a swimming pool. Plus, even pot-bellies can get pretty big.
I don't have one, but my great Aunt does. Hers is a potbellied pig. From what I could tell, it was very similar to having a dog. He was trained to go potty outside, he knew his name and a few tricks. Pigs are very smart, so you have many pros there. You can teach them if you are willing to put the time into it. Cons that I can think of would be, first off, the knee-jerk reaction people will have. "You have a PIG?" Second, you would need to research more about pig illnesses and injurys to know how different or similar they would be to any other mammal, then you would have to find a vet to see him. Also, many places make you get a permit to have them.
I want a pig when I have my own house. They do make good pets.
I have a Mini Potbelly Pig, He's the best thing, I had him in the house before, They make good pets, You can litter train them also or go outside, My pig gets along great with my dog and my year old child,

No comments:

Post a Comment