Monday, May 24, 2010

Bunny Help!?

Please, please help me!!!
I have a holland lop bunny that is 3 1/2 years old and she has runny feces. My parents keep saying they want to get rid of her because every time I change the change, in a few hours, it stinks again.
Bunnies are supposed to have feces that are ball except for the feces they have at night that they eat(?)
But, they're not supposed to have it ALL the time?
My bunny has bad diarrhea.
Let me explain her diet.:

I rarely give her veggies since I thought too much veggies would give her diarrhea.
I give her rabbit pellets
I give her Alfalfa hay
I give her oatmeal (not cooked though. It's supposed to be good for her. I give it to her as a treat.)
When I feed her, I feed her an exact amt. of measurement based on her weight and breed. Treats are occasional, I don't give her too much.
Do you think it's the hay? Maybe I should give her Timothy.
I can't really bring her to the vet, at all, but your answers will help!
Answers:
First get rid of the alfalfa hay it is not good for Rabbits, Timothy Hay Only! As much as they want.
Get rid of the rabbit pellets, there is many brands that add alfalfa hay as a filler. The good ones use Alfalfa Meal there is a difference! I feed my rabbits Old Fashion Oats, Super Premium Rabbit Blend (Eight in One Pet Products), Timothy Hay (Kaytee) and Rabbits do need Veggies and Fruit too maintain a healthy diet. Water is a must!
Know for the diarrhea problem: It鈥檚 first important to point out that rabbits have two different types of droppings: fecal pellets and cecotropes. Fecal pellets are the little poops you see in your bunny鈥檚 litter box. They鈥檙e various sizes depending on the bunny and are hard. Cecotropes (which aren鈥檛 feces) are grapelike clusters your bunny expels at night then eats them, helping to produce necessary nutrients.
Diarrhea is not common in adult rabbits. In fact, if your bunny has what you believe is diarrhea, you should take a sample of it and her normal pellets to a rabbit-savvy vet.
Diarrhea is often a result of roundworms or tapeworms, as well as a number of intestinal parasites. A rabbit that has had an episode of runny or soft stools but is otherwise alert and lively can see the vet tomorrow morning. Similarly, excess caecotrophs (the smelly, shiny, dark colored droppings like little bunches of grapes) do not count as Diarrhea. The ones to worry about are bunnies who are sitting hunched in a pool of diarrhea, either liquid/watery or jelly-like material. These rabbits need veterinary help fast.
There are Places in most states that provide free help with Rabbits.
Just give her the Rabbit Chow pellets, plenty of fresh water, and a salt lick. No treats, no veggies, no hay, and see if it clears up. If not it could be some type of parasite and you may wish to call a vet or someone who raises rabbits for some free sound advice. Any medicine should be found at the local farmer's co-op.
If this has been going on for more than a day or two call a vet explain that you have an animal that needs care but aren't financially able to pay for it. Vet's have volunteer programs that can help with the expences.
I would cut all food except for rabit pellets. Those are the least likely to be contaminated.
There has been some recent alfalfa salmonella cases in humans lately.
It could be the hay. Adult rabbits should not be fed alfalfa. They should be fed Timothy hay...and as much of it as they want. Rabbits should never be without timothy hay.
Otherwise it sounds like you have the diet end of things under control.
I would call a vet and explain your situation and see what help they can offer. Your local shelter may be able to help as well.
Also try http://www.rabbit.org
Good luck
The most common illness in rabbits is diarrhea. I'm on my third rabbit now. I keep her bowl full and put in fresh Timothy hay everyday. I actually had a rabbit die from an illness caused by alfalfa (didn't know it could happen until it did). The smallest change in diet can upset your bunny's tummy so if you've added something new recently I'd try taking it away or slowly adding it into her diet.
I feed my bunny Kaytee brand Rabbit food and Kaytee brand Timothy hay. I also give her a carrot, carrot greens (the end that sticks out of the ground), a piece of celery, and a few slices of apple daily. She loves this. And I've actually never had a problem with her having diarrhea except maybe for a day on occasion.
It could be from stress as well. Rabbits tend to stress over everything.
You can always call the vet and ask their opinion on the situation. Tell them you're unable to bring your bunny in and maybe they can off some advice.
most likely she has worms. you need to worm her. i have been raising rabbits for over 15 years. you should be able to get a cheap wormer at the pet store. you can also get kao-pec for the diarreha to help that. keep plenty of water for her. you can also put some gatorade in her water bottle to help curb dehydration and the rabbits love it. hay will actually dry up diarreha so keep plenty of hay. timothy or alfaha or hay that you can buy at a local feed store in a bale will work too.
Alfafa hay is extremly high is protein which can give rabbits diarrhea, try timonthy hay. that should help alot. good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment