Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bad experience at pets at home?

have any of you had any bad experiences at pets at home i was there today and saw a staff member bury a dead fish in the gravel saying "no one will notice". i have complained and if you have had any bad experiences can you tell me where it was and what happened so i can add your store to my list.Thanks
Answers:
i applied for a job at my local pets at home, and had to walk through the quaranteen section for animals to get to the office where the interview was held! which by the way wasnt a clean quaranteen section. there was bald rabbits, some badly beaten up (looking like fighting) there was one hamster that had in bit writing "wet tail" on the cage, which was located ontop of another hamster cage etc etc, for a contagious disease they wern't being very careful.
i too have seen dead fish in the tanks, i have also had a friend who got a pet rat from there with some kind of contagious disease (cant remember the name) that wiped out all the pet rats she already had, she told the store who continued to sell his / her litter mates saying "well your rats must have already had it then" when her rats were around 18 months old and would have died long before then if they had already had it, even the vet says that it will have come from the new addition.
but they plain refused to believe it,
i have watched them sexing rabbits that were plainly obvious as males as females.
i would never go there for animals, after seeing all the behind the scenes stuff i saw whilst waiting for my interview. healthy pets being kept in the same dirty quaranteen area as sick ones before being put on display,
i would never risk it again, and than god i didnt get the job
No, I must admit I am shocked. The one in carmarthen is excellent and they take very good care of the animals they sell. Their selling care is top notch and I have listened to staff giving care and advice to people. I have even asked them some really difficult questions about my reptiles and when they haven't known the answers they have tried their best to be as helpful as possible. It is a shame that this one memebr has made you feel this way about the store. It is always one that spoils it for the rest. Don't loose faith, I am sure they are not all that bad.
Yes, in Letchworth Garden City in Hertfordshire about a week ago, I told a staff member about an ill looking fish swimming at a strange angle. She said there was nothing they could do, they just had to wait for it to die. I think that's unacceptable.
I have seen dead fish floating in my local Pets At Home.
The worst thing was the bottles that the rabbits and guinea pigs had their drinking water in they were green-dark green.I reported them to the RSPCA.I always look now to make sure that the water bottles are clean.I once bought a goldfish and a bowl for my daughters friend and got a lecture on how to care for it from a 15 year old.He was talkng out of his ar**!
Also they keep rabbits and guinea pigs together which you aren't supposed to do.(South Ruislip!)
the don't know what they are doing in there,,i bought an elephant fish from them a few years back,they told me a gravel tank was ok.when i got home and looked it up i found they only survive in sand bottom tanks,for the electric rays they give off.when i went back and told them the reply i got was"oh i didn't know that sorry"
it is usually the staffs manners in my local store as the yare all apparently teenages so don't understand what we are asking for half the time. the are rude and extremely unhelpful i am disabled and on crutches so cannot push a trolley and i have to go to the store to buy my cats' biscuits etc and finding a member of staff to help is impossible or you get a rude response such as i cannot repeat on here. i have on many occasions had to rescue hamsters that they state can't be handled but i tame them and pass them on to people i trust to look after them. i am in eastbourne east sussex
Pets at home is a supermarket (stack it high sell it cheap), in my case good for durable dog toys (if you look hard) and the odd bag of dog biscuits and "chews".
My local store (Colton, Leeds) if they have live animals, they always seem to be well looked after. I can't fault the staff there for their help and friendliness, maybe that has something to do with the two well behaved German Shepherds that often accompany me to the store.
Pets at home in bristol use to house rabbits and guinea pigs together ! but they must of received complaints as now they are seperated, its cleaner.
When i saw a dead fish i told a member of staff and they removed it straight away.
they have improved but theres a pets shop that ive been in and they have guinea pigs underneath budgies ! the woman herself said they shouldnt really be there - so why not move them grrr !!!
pets at home tried to tell me not to get another rabbit because we wanted a female rabbit to be a friend for my male rabbit or to get him castrated
Unfortunately the very fact that this chain is effectively a supermarket means that it will not be paying great wages to it's staff, which means in turn that they may (and I mean no disrespect by this) the most knowledgeable of individuals. Some will be there because they want to work with animals but there are better jobs that will require more formal qualifications.
I have always been wary of the advice that these guys can offer and cringe when I see people going in and buying a new pet and spending the best part of a couple of hundred pounds on equipment but seem content to buy a 拢1.99 care guide for there chosen pet.
I was in to buy an indoor cage for use with some of my older ferrets and was stunned to be told by the salesman that it was also suitable for outdoor use with a tarpaulin over it. I wonder how many other people were given this outrageous piece of advice?
Store was Renfrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment