Saturday, May 22, 2010

Becoming an animal foster 'parent'??

So I have been thinking. I would LOVE to become a foster 'parent' for animals. I would love to help take them in, teach them and nurse them and all the ups and downs that go along with that. However, I have no idea where I would even start, and whether or not it is a long process, such as i would have to start small, like volunteering and then work my way up, after many years. Or if I can just jump right in, after being approved, and start fostering animals..I would love/appreciate any advice or answers any of you have on these subjects...Thanks so much!
Keeping in mind, I would rather do this for cats over any other animals...
Answers:
Go to your local humane society and start there. Talk to someone there about what you want to do and they can lead you in the right direction. You can start out volunteering there, talking to other fosters, learning about different rescue and fostering groups in your area, and getting to know more. Fostering can be tricky if you have other animals in the house already, not everyone always gets along. But seeing an animal respond to you and grow and become available to go to a great home is very very rewarding even if it is hard to see them go sometimes.
contact some local shelters in your area. i'm sure there's a background check and home check. you can find shelters on petfinder.com
go to local humane society. you probably will have to fill out application. that is about it

No comments:

Post a Comment