Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are some rats more unfriendly than others?

I just got two new female rats, they had owners before me that saved them from being snake food but the owners couldn't keep them anymore. They are starting to trust my hand and they eat from my hands and let me pet them but they are really jumpy. I hold them but they don't like it to much. The owner before told me they weren't handled much and they will take time. My friend had a male rat that was so friendly and trusted everyone, are some rats more friendly than others and will my rats learned to trust me? They don't like to be handled much but they do like to come out of their cage and explore around the outside of the cage, should I keep handling them will they soon like it or should I leave them alone?
Answers:
Oh, it's true enough that differences in temperament will factor into how comfortable rats are, but that's not all.
A lot of it has to do with how they were socialized when young. Rats that are handled a lot, talked to a lot, given food by hand by people when pups and adolescents are much more trusting of people and much less likely to bite.
Usually rats that are deemed 'snake food' aren't given that socialization and attention. They therefore don't have those early experiences to trust and relax around humans. And while you can gradually make headway with many, some will not really come around. They'll always be jumpy.
If they're starting to come around, that's a promising sign. Eventually they may plateau in how comfortable they get, and that'll be no fault of yours. It never hurts to keep trying. Offering the occasional treats by hand (but not through the cage bars) tends to help some, as does the speaking in a soothing voice. Spending time with them letting them outside the cage to explore and spend time with you helps as well.
You're doing just fine with 'em. =)
In my experience in raising rats. I would have to say yes. My first rats were 2 tan rats and they were the sweetest as can be. I even had them trained to come when I called them. I got another rat, a black and white one, and that one was really skittish. She even bit me once, but only because I grabbed her while she was in labor. I think it's more about the personality and the previous treatment though. Since the rats weren't held much, they aren't used to it.
Try and keep handling them. If you leave them alone, they'll just become bored and even less friendly.
Feeder rats aren't usually handled (they're only being sold for snakes, after all), so don't always make good pets--and if the previous owners didn't handle them much, that makes for even more timid rats.
It doesn't mean that you should give up, though! They're still tamable, but it'll take a little patience. Here's an article on taming rats: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/...
Are some people more unfriendly than others?
Are some dogs more unfriendly than others?
Yes!
Each individual is unique.
They will come around, keep up what your doing, it just takes time.
yes, animals have different personalities - particularly rats.
are they males or females? in my experiences of working in a pet store, the males were a lot more calm and more quick to trust a new person.
i'd say just give it time and keep handling them, when you do and they're calm when they're in your hands and don't jump around a lot, give them a little treat - then they'll start to associate your hands with something nice - like treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment