Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are used pet carriers safe?

I have the opportunity to purchase a USED soft-sided pet carrier for my yorkie. Is it a good idea to purchase this type of thing used? Is there any way to make sure it is clean/safe for my precious pup? Has anyone ever had any problem with purchasing a used carrier?
Answers:
If you do end up buying it make sure you use vinegar and odo-ban to clean it out. Don't use any harsh chemicals like bleach, that can severally cause pain and damage to your precious pup.
It should be fine. I would wipe it down with a bleach and water solution and make sure all the zippers and whatnot are still working. I can't imagine any reason why it would be dangerous after all that. :-)
I would say go for it as long as you're not paying a lot for it. I think it should be fine, but before you use it why not wipe it down with some disinfectant just so it smells fresher and you can feel better about putting your precious pup in it. If you do have bad doubts though there are inexpensive carriers and crates at petsmart that where I've got mine.
I would clean and disinfect the carrier when you get it. Also ask the owner why they are giving it up and if their dog was healthy and you could also ask to see their medical history, the dog's, to make sure the animal that used it before was healthy. But if you do get it make sure that you clean it really well.
DO NOT USE BLEACH! go to any good pet store, and you can get a special spray to disinfect these things, Put it this way, would you like to be put into a small carrier after its been washed out with bleach?
I bought a used pet carried at a yard sale for three dollars and it work great.It really depends on the style and make of the carried.Carries don't usually wear out.

No comments:

Post a Comment