Friday, May 8, 2009

A new dog question?

I have a new dog. She's a 13 year old dachshund coming from a really bad life with previous owners. I have two female cats also. I got her on Friday. As soon as I walked into the door with her, one of my cats pounced on her, and ended up making her bleed. The dog was barking, the cats were hissing like mad. My cats have never been so violent or hostel like that. I had a dachshund in the house before - had him since I was young (he died in October '06) - and they seemed to take to him very well. Anyway, I was holding one of the cats, and she scratched the hell out of my chest because she was so riled up. Right now I'm keeping the dog in the living room (I have a baby fench in the doorway). The cats seem to stare at her time after time. Around Sunday, I let the dog out again, only to have the cats flip out once more. I really want to have them mingle in harmony, but I'm afraid that the cats or the poor dog will get harmed again. Is there any possible way to make peace in my house again?
Answers:
Having come from really bad previous owners and at her age she is probably more fearful than another dog would be. The cats can pick up on this and think they should attack. The cats were there first so feed them first and make an extra fuss over them so they wont be jealous. Continue to keep them and the dog separated for a while but close enough that they can see each other. Don't say or do anything and they will figure it out. Take your time and don't force them and they will get to know each other. If you hold the cat she might think your going to make her go to the dog.
I think you are doing all the right things and just need to be patient a little while longer.
Also I think its great that you rescued this 13 year old dachshund.
it takes time to get them accustomed to each other. your cats don't remember your other dachshund. so keep them separate as you do now and then, day by day, let the dog out. the will get along after a while.
It's difficult, especially with cats, to adjust pets to a new arrival. You should keep them separated until they do adjust. To facilitate that adjustment, try feeding the cats on the other side of the baby gate, moving their bowls closer and closer, so they come to associate pleasant things with the presence of the new dog.
They will need time to get used to each other.
Introduce them slowly and eventually they will make peace if not friends.
My new kitty and my old cat didn't get along at all and now after three months they play together and get along fine.
oh wow, tough situation..
i used to have alot of rabbits with one dog.
at first, they didnt adapt very well wen i first got the dog. i used to keep them seperate for a while. (about 4 weeks) then little by little, i would put them closer together until they seemed to get used and before i knew it, they were lik one big rabbit, dog family!
so just try this for a while..
keep them seperate until they get used to being with eachother every two weeks try letting him out (on a leash) and see wut happens..if they attack you kan always pull him back with a leash. little by little leave him out with eachother a little longer. until theyre like a cat, dog family :)
my cat does that w/ my new puppy too, its like a territorial thing i think, my cat leaves my dog alone unless he gets to close to him.it is like a stranger to them
Cats are very territorial. They probably feel like the dog is an intruder. They should eventually become accustomed to the dogs presents. In the mean time you can try the old squirt gun or water spray bottle trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment