Friday, May 8, 2009

Advice on giving up my pet when I transfer to dream college(pet owners only please)?

ok so i've got a pet rabbit and a decision on whether or not to attend this college that sounds like one of the best opportunities i could possibly hope for. Unfortuantely, this college will not house pets and I doubt I would be able to get an apartment with all the biting she does and work I would have to do to pay for it-no time to play with her. This includes schoolwork too.
I have a deep love for my rabbit, and I take care of her to the very best of my abilities. I feel like if I give her up for adoption just so I could selfishly fulfill my dreams, it would be like trading my soul to the devil basically lol. It's just an incredibly tough decision.
Nobody in my family is capable of taking care of her in the way I think she deserves. I think if I were gone for a few weeks they would make a rabbit stew out of her. I have also tried thinking of any friends who might house her while I"m away. None will and mostly never will.
I'm in a twist really. i ask for help from caring pet owners
Answers:
-smiles grimly- Honey, I feel you.
I'm just beginning my second year at college and own three pets: a ball python, a bearded dragon, and a corn snake. I'm about to give up at least one of them due to the lack of time I'll have come fall. I still live at home because I've been saving up to study abroad in a year or two. I've been taking Arabic classes and really enjoy it. They have a great program in Egypt that would have me living there for six months.
My problem? In Egypt they only have pet cats and occasionally dogs. There are no pet shops. No vets for pet reptiles. Nobody sells mice, and they sure as hell won't allow my babies in any dorm OR apartment. My egyptian friends couldn't even fathom the idea of having a pet snake. My family sure as hell won't care for them in my absence nor will any relatives or friends. So do I give up the dream? Or my babies?
I'm looking into candidates for new homes for the beardie and corn snake right now; planning to keep one of the two. The python stays, hands down.
It's possible people are gonna ***** you in their answers, saying how dumb you were for buying an animal when you knew all along you'd be heading off to college someday. Don't listen to them. You didn't forsee this particular turn of events. This isn't what you wanted.
Feel free to email me if you need to talk or want to continue this further. I haven't had a chance to confide in someone who actually understands. Everyone I talk to just rolls their eyes and go: "It's not like you're giving up your dog or something. It's just a snake. Who the hell wouldn't go to Egypt just because they have a pet snake?! Get rid of him! This is the chance of a lifetime."
Just remember: my six months in Egypt is six months--six months is not a lifetime. Four yrs of college--that's not a lifetime. They could both be extraordinary opportunities to a whole new life.but it'll be a life without our pets with us.
I still haven't decided.
The best thing for your rabbit would be to surrender her to an organisation who will rehome her to some one who will love her as much as you do. You could possibly find her a home where u will be able to visit. This is a very sad situation for you being an animal lover i can completly understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment