Friday, May 8, 2009

200 million animals are orphaned mutiliated injured and harassed by hunters...My son in law wants to..?

have his future children learn about guns and learn to kill animals. We are so not into this and I do not want my future grandchildren to do this horrific act. How do I handle this?
Answers:
butt out... It is not your child... you would be in the wrong to undermine any lawful instruction your grandchildren are given by their parents... you are not the parent. I am a grandfather of three very beautiful granddaughters... they are being instructed in things that I am very much opposed to... I know they will be negativly affected in their moral development... but I have to keep my mouth... I maintain as much contact as i can and I try to present my positon through example... but I NEVER... contradict the basic instruction they are given by their parents... I am not the parent... the oldest is 5... she has already told me she does not feel it is right to follow certain things she has been told by her parents... I have told her she must as it is her parents responsability to do that... but I am glad that she is seeing things different... not from any thing I have said just by seeing how I act when we are togeather...she has already toold me that "I am not going to do that when I grow up" concerning certain things... and I have told her that when she is an adult she will have to follow many "rules"... but in "that" she will be free to do as she thinks is right.as an adult...untill then she will have to do as she is told by her parents. not Grandpa... Grandpa lets her get away with too much other stuff.
you are very ignorant. Learnthe facts before you go trash talking hunters. What do you think we did as humans for 1000's of years?
You need to realize you're not the parent here. As long as he teaches his children proper safety techniques I do not see what is wrong with learning about guns, using them, and hunting. Hunting for sport is wrong, but hunting and fishing to put food on the table is perfectly acceptable.
You make your beliefs known in a diplomatic way and then stay out of it. Let your daughter and son in law raise their own children.
How old is your son for starters? Just remember that ultimately, people make their own decisions, no matter how influenced they are.minus adolesence...but they have to learn.
Just because that's what your son wants, doesn't mean that will happen. Be sure to be the one to 'school' those children on the other side. Once they are educated they will make a good informed decision...what that decision is...well, who knows what it'll be.
Also, as the children get older and live and learn...with many interactions from both humans and animals that they would sooner want to kill somebody rather than something.
By educating your son-in-law first!
I am not a hunter, but some of my friends are. I eat meat. I just think that a hunter has as much responsibility as the next person to follow the laws...that's where you educate your son in law first..if he is not a responsible hunter.
Umm i agree with you-- i think it is mean to hint and just keave it theere alone with blood and it suffering...

Welll tell him that you dont like the idea for tha fact that he wants to hunt becuase alot of aniamls will die,.

What if there is no more animals in this wrold then we would never be able to eat meat again.. It's possibke-- lol
tell him how you feel and maybe tell him about archery without killing animals just using targets. first you should ask the kids, do they really want to learn how to use a gun to KILL animals,if they have and pets maybe say like if they have a dog or a cat, they are animals to...
i agree with you
Very, very carefully. Who's children are they? Who has the right to decide for them?
The penalty for getting it wrong here could be a split between you and them and grandchildren that hate you!
Also consider what right you have to put your values and beliefs on them. You had that chance when you were raising your daughter it is up to her and her husband and the grandchildren now.
Please do not cause a whole heap of grief over this! Do you really put animals before your own family?!!
Agree to disagree and live happily with each other!!
Well it is his and his wife choice i don't really support the idea but matters aren't really in your hands now it in the hands of him and his wife.
Explain to them how much lovelier the world would be if those 200 million had survived and competition for food would have meant starvation for 200 million other animals instead. Have them read about Wisconsin and Indiana where they tried limiting the number of hunters and hunting by law for a few years only to end up recanting those laws as the number killed by cars, disease and starvation skyrocketed. Why not try to teach them to think for themselves and give them both sides of the debate so that they can make up their mind on their own as each person is entitled to instead of scaring them with fictitious numbers. Nature is equilibrium. Hunting organizations are among the most staunch supporters of ecological preservation in the world giving far more money to set aside property for ecological safehavens than all the environmentalists you can shake a stick at. Do some research...you will be shocked.
You leave it alone, lady. They are your grandkids, not your kids. Also, you don't realize what would happen if there were no hunters. Deer herds would multiply like crazy and we'd be hitting them with our cars 10 times more than we do, and they would starve for lack of grazing.
When your grandkids are older you can certainly voice your views about hunting, but please don't criticize your son in law, or it will hurt your grandkids and confuse them. It's up to their parents to raise them, not you.
You could speak to your daughter and ask her to speak to him about your feelings, but don't expect him to agree.
There is a difference between responsible hunting and teaching your kids to just go kill something.
I appreciate your affinity for animals, but please get educated about hunting and what would happen if there were no hunters.
You don't.
I can answer this like I think Dr. Laura would...
It's not your child. Hunting is something humans have done since they were created on earth.
I sort of agree with you, except I feel that if anything killed or caught is going to be eaten...by humans...than it's ok to hunt things that are legal to hunt.
Things that are legal to hunt, like bear, deer, mountain lions and such are being hunted as a means of controling the over population of such animals.
The game department issues so many tags in each zone for that purpose.
When this child is with you, feel free to try to instill some of your own values into this child, but you should be reminded that should your efforts interfere with the way your son in law wants to raise his child, you could very well find yourself without the abiliity to have any influence whatsoever on your grandchild's life.
Frankly, I feel that it's not your place to get involved. That's his family unit, not yours. I see this as just one example of why In laws don't get along.
You got to shape your child the way you wanted to. What input did you take from your parents while doing that? Probably none. You should expect the same. None.
John G
Just wanted to add that I was taught to hunt and prepare the food for eating. First time I did, I decided that wasn't for me. Could happen to yours too
Are you a Vegan? Because if you own any products made with animal additives,(many foods, cosmetics etc) or with animal skin (incl. leather shoes, belts, purses, clothes etc) or you eat what comes packaged at the meat market, you are participating in the killing of animals. Those animals that are prepackaged at grocery stores usually lead a dismal life compared to an animal killed in the wild by a hunter.
This being said, I am not a Vegan or a Vegetarian. I have tried to be at a time in my life, but I gotta admit, I like to eat meat. I also like to wear leather. I'm not big on furs and since there are so many nice "faux" ones, many go that route.
I believe everyone benefits when animals for human consumption are raised in clean environments, not tortured or over-crowded or stuck in a stall and loaded with hormones and antibiotics.
All that being said, I think it is normal for a hunter, man or woman, to teach a grandchild about hunting as long as the child is old enough and is learning that the animal is utilized for food and not just killed for sport.
I think your values about this are great and they are yours. But they don't need to be your son in law's values or the values your grandchild will adopt. Your grandchild may choose to be like you or may become a hunter himself.
I grew up in the country for a few years of my life, and my father was a hunter (not by profession) and the animals he killed were processed by him and used for food for us. He made the best backstrap wrapped in bacon.
My dogs eat Venison in their dog food, too. A dog on a vegetarian diet is not going to be a healthy dog. Same for cats. They are carnivores for the most part.
People are omnivores by nature.
If you are Vegan, good for you. I applaud you for your lifestyle according to your choice as an adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment